Thursday 22 September 2011

Welcome to my World!



For those of you who know me, this will be no suprise but I like to volunteer for many events, especially sports events that happen in our beautiful city of Vancouver and surrounding areas.  I've decided that facebook just isn't a great way for me to share the events that I do and what my life has been like as a volunteer for the last 8 yrs.  I had my first taste of volunteering right after the City of Vancouver won the bid for the 2010 Olympics.  I was lucky enough to get tickets from my employer at the time to go to GM Place where they announced Vancouver as the winning city!  The first major event to come to Vancouver was the World Weightlifting Championships in 2003.  I found it to be a very enjoyable experience and was hooked. 

With many other events coming to Vancouver as tests for the Olympics, I had to do them all...or at least tried to.  Since then I've been involved with the NHL Draft 2006, World Junior Hockey Championships 2006, JCC Sports Dinner Awards 2006, Mastercard Memorial Cup Championships 2007, BMO Skate Canada Championships 2007, FIFA U-20 2006,  Right to Play 2008, World Police and Fire Games 2009, IIHF Semi-Annual Congress 2007, Volkswagon Ultimate Shoot-Out 2006-2009, Juno Awards 2009, Vancouver Olympics 2010 - Opening & Closing Ceremonies at BC Place, Molson Canadian Hockey House and Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon 2011.  I started working with the BC Lions in 2007 as a CAT (Customer Assistance Team) member and am currently with the Lions.  I am also working for the Vancouver Whitecaps FC and have been since 2006.  Still trying to crack the Vancouver Canucks....that place is like a fortress! 

Volunteering is like an addiction.  Once you start, you don't want to stop.  If you love sports, meeting new people and pushing yourself to do things you wouldn't normally do, this is a great way to gain that experience.  Many of my friends gain FREE items from me from these events in the past such as tickets to the stadiums or items from 'giveaway' nights.  Its a great way to share my love of the event with people I know and get them interested too!  This blog's intention is to share some of my experiences with you.  I hope you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment