Sunday 4 December 2011

Sports Shopping in the City


The Vancouver Whitecaps and the BC Lions both had their year-end sales today.  Of course I had to go to both. 

The first place I went to was the Whitecaps sale which started at 10am this morning.  They were selling their merchandise in a warehouse just off Main St which was very easy to get to.  They had selected items of children, women and men's apparel.  They also had a variety of novelty items such as scarfs, toques, mugs etc. all marked down from 40-60%.  This was a great deal for those looking to buy christmas or birthday gifts.  Although it was small space to manuevor, it worked out well.  I went into the place looking to buy something for my friend's son, whose birthday is coming up.  He's turning six years old and plays soccer.  I was lucky enough to find something that he might like.  However, while I was looking thru the children's apparel, I noticed the very familiar Carl Valentine and his video man lurking in the corner of the room.  They also noticed me.  I tried to ignore them but they came over anyway and for the third time this year, Carl asked if he could interview me.  I said no the first two times. I hate being interviewed.  I felt bad turning him down again so I agreed.  That interview will be up on the Whitecaps website probably tomorrow.  I'll post it here if I can find it.

After that was done, I browsed a bit more and contemplated buying more stuff but I was good. I managed to resist.  I bought what I came to get and then headed towards Rogers Arena to check out the Canucks Store since I had time before the BC Lions sale opened to the public.  The Canucks Store was crazy busy inside.  People were buying up jerseys by the armloads.  I saw something I liked but might wait for the sale.  I also perused the men's section of Jerseys.  I was looking for a small in Bieksa but they only had 2 left on the rack and both were x-large!!  The women's Bieksa jerseys were flying off the rack as well.  He's very popular among the ladies and kids.  It was starting to get clausterphobic in there for me, so I left and headed to Blendz coffee shop around the corner so I could borrow their wi-fi for my ipod touch.  Sat there for a while and then made arrangements with my friend to meet at BC Place at Gate H at noon when it opened.

The BC Lions had their year-end Locker Room Sale and most of the merchandise was marked down.  As I headed into Gate H, I noticed they had set up right in the atrium like one big shop.  My buddy, Rob, who was also a Team Leader with me for Grey Cup was working security at the door.  He mentioned that the season ticket holders were in at 9am which is why it was so busy when I got there.  My friend, Leslie-Anne was already inside looking thru the merchandise.  There were tons of shirts and hats on sale 2 for $20.  One of my friends had requested a mini-grey cup but they were sold out of those last week.  So, I got him the next best thing he wanted, two mini-helmets.  I got myself a BC Lions Championship Hat which I had signed by Wally Buono, Anton MacKenzie and Marco Iannuzzi, who were there.  Some things that I liked were still a bit expensive for my taste so I didn't walk out with a lot.  Just a few more pics with athletes and one with the Grey Cup! 

As soon as I picked up the hat, I headed over to Wally Buono and told him I worked for the CAT team.  He said I was part of the team and thanked me. I congratulated him on an incredible season and told him I wanted him back as coach next year.  He signed my hat and then I asked if I could get a pic with him as well.  His wife was around with armful of clothing she wanted to purchase so he flagged her down and asked if she could take a  pic of us together.  He said getting her to take the pics keeps her busy from picking up stuff to buy...lol.  Here's the pic which I will always treasure.  What a great person.


After I purchased my items, I headed over to the signing table where McKenzie and Iannuzzi were sitting.  I got them to sign my hat and then took pics with them too after congratulating them on an amazing year and chatting for a bit.


Next up was the Grey Cup! Light as a feather and yes I know, its almost as tall as I am!


Here is the hat I had signed by Wally and the players.



I also picked up another poster for my friend of the Stadium on Grey Cup along with the mini helmets he wanted.  It looks fantastic!


Leslie-Anne and I were a bit hungry after all that, so we headed to Rosie's for a bite to eat and then headed home. I've got another early morning on Sunday as I will be attending the Santa Claus Parade downtown with more friends.  No ice skating as I had too much baggage with me today but I'll get it in there somewhere. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment