Sunday 5 February 2012

Re-Cap of Women's Olympic Qualifying Games So Far..Day 8



Finally!! The match-up that everyone knew was coming had finally come!  This was the last day of the tournament and at this point, Canada and the USA had already qualified for the two spots going to represent at the London 2012 Summer Olympics.  The winner of this match would get a better seed but mainly more for bragging rights.  Afterall, it is Canada vs USA.  It was the only match up of the day and we were expecting it to be seriously busy in the Hospitality Suites.   People started to stream in right at 4pm.  They came early to find the Amway kiosk where you could use markers to make signs, they came early to get food and also to enjoy some of the atmosphere.  We knew the Canadian crowd was going to be huge and we've seen the Americans fill up most of our stadium as well  on USA game nights so we knew there was gonna be a lot of people there.  We weren't dissapointed.  We broke another record with the attendance.  This time it was 24,427 and trust me, it was loud in there.  The atmosphere took on the feel of an Olympic stature. Almost felt like it was the 2010 Olympics again. There were tons of Canadian flags flying and tons of red and white was displayed.

This was the pretty hardware up for grabs.


The majority of the suites were converted into the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) hospitality suites.  USA only had one suite.  We were expecting delegates from all over representing FIFA.  One of the representatives from the West Indies took my hand and flirted with me asking me if I've ever been to the West Indies before and told me he thought I was beautiful...haha! I really just wanted my hand back.  I told this to my Managers downstairs on break and someone chirped in "You should have asked if he had a sister!"...yeah...I guess that would have gotten my hand back! I'll have to try that one next time I'm being flirted with to death! Just one of the hazards of being a hospitality volunteer.


All the suites were full and there were a lot of athletes wandering the halls looking for beer and food.  So my team and I were happy to direct them.  I helped some french FIFA officials find their way outside so they could have a smoke and come back in as well.   The Ushers, my team and I watched the game from the hallways outside the suites and we all watched as our Canadian girls were struggling getting the ball in the net.  They had 3 great chances and hit the post or went wide of the goal.  The Americans on the other hand were having no problem finding the back of our net.  In the end, the Americans were too polished, poised and confident in their game to lose. The match ended in a 4-0 loss to the Americans.

After the match ended, they started to convert the pitch into the ceremony area where both teams would be presented with their gold and silver medals respectively.  Christine Sinclair and her team were called up to the stage first to receive their silver medals and the entire stadium saluted them on a job well done.  Everyone was proud of our ladies in red.  Their main objective was to gain the ticket to London 2012 Olympics and they had accomplished that.

This is the stage being rolled onto the centre of the pitch for the medal ceremony.

Canadian team being congratulated and receiving their silver medals.  Sorry, its kinda fuzzy.

After the ceremonies were over and all the fans or most of the fans had left the building, the volunteers from all the departments got to go onto the pitch and have a team picture taken by a professional photographer.  So this is us sauntering onto the pitch headed towards the Champions sign.



We had to wait for more of the departments to show up before taking the picture.
But first we had to wait for the photographer to show up!! I'm sure it turned out great. I'll share it once I receive it!
I had a lot of fun during this tournament.  Not only did I get to see my volunteering family again but I also got to be part of something great.  I love soccer next to hockey so anytime I can volunteer for this sport I do.  I was an Usher at the FIFA U-20 tournament in 2007 at Swangard and had an awesome time and I knew that the women's tournament wouldn't be a disappointment either.  I knew half the Canadian National Women's Team as they used to be Whitecaps players and all used to come sit in my tunnel for special appearances as the CNT or just to chill.  It was amazing seeing and meeting all the different teams and their staffs from all over the world.  I even got to use my very very limited Spanish. I'm glad that Vancity came out and supported the team in record numbers.  It makes me proud to be a volunteer in Vancity when I see the support from the community for our sport athletes.  They work so hard all their lives to get to where they are its only fit that they get the support from the fans.  I came away with an experience of a lifetime and hopefully will be back for 2015 when Vancity will host the Womens World Cup FIFA tournament.  We also have a bid out for the 2014 U-20 Womens World Cup Soccer! After this turnout, I'm sure it helped our chances on that!

 And thats all she wrote folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment