Tuesday 18 December 2012

FIFA Women's World Cup Soccer Emblem Launch for 2015


On Friday, December 14th, the emblem for the FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 was launched from BC Place and I was there.  I worked in the VIP hospitality area.  This was an invitational event only with the VIPs and media.

I arrived at 7:30am that morning to start my shift at BC Place on behalf of FIFA/Soccer Canada.  As I walked in, I saw a lot of girls soccer teams.  Apparently we had 230 girls from soccer teams from all over the mainland to help with the launch.  They spent the next two and a half hours rehearsing.  But before they could do that, we had to help cover up any logos on the teams outfits that weren't adidas with duct tape.  Fun.  I know.  Once that was done, I went to the hospitality lounge with a group of volunteers I knew and we awaited the VIPs to arrive.  The lounge itself was like a mini freezer.  There was no heat.  Just like the rest of the building.  BC Place does not believe in heating the building entirely unless there is a Whitecaps or BC Lions game on that day.  We tried to layer our clothes but the cold air was hard not to notice.

My duty was to keep the VIPs contained in the lounge so they didn't get a sneak peak of the field where the girls were rehearsing.  Most  of the VIPs were running outside of the building cause it was warmer outside than it was inside the lounge, even though I had asked catering to turn up the heat.  Too little, too late.  But they drank their coffees and tried their best to keep warm.  The Canadian National Womens Team was also in attendance.  They were part of the presentation.

This is a video of Don Hardman, FIFA Event Venues Manager, who we work closely with.  He speaks about the Women's World Cup and what to expect.



Here is the video we were shown at the presentation.

Youtube is being a pain and won't show the video presentation so I'm putting up a link.

Colorful Canada 2015 Emblem Revealed


After the presentation was all done, we headed back into the ring road and organized shirts by sizes for the girls to grab as a souvenir and could maybe get signed by the Canadian  National Women's Team.  The whole event took 5 hours and then we were done for the day.  It was a great experience and although it was just a handful of us volunteers, which was all we really needed for this event, it went really smoothly.  I can't wait for the FIFA events to start rolling in this city.  I will be involved in the management side of things...not sure in which way yet though.

By the way, I really love the logo!

No comments:

Post a Comment