Thursday 17 January 2013

Canucks Scrimmage - Day 1



I was so excited about going to the Canucks scrimmage tonight.  I met up with my friend, Lesiie-Anne, at the Stadium Skytrain station at 5:15pm and headed off across the street to get into the lineup that was already snaking its way around Gate 10.  We waited for 45 mins before the doors were opened and we were welcomed into the building by staff.  LA and I had already decided we were going to sit in the middle seats so we could see everything.  We sat in the area across from the players' bench.


The scrimmage game was to be a mock game with inter-squads.  Three ten-minute periods with twelve minute intermissions while the Zamboni cleaned the ice.  Followed by a shootout at the end.  So, while we waited for the players to come on the ice for their half hour warm up session before the game began, the screen showed the fans.  This is all part of their "Our Team, Our Way" #OTOW  campaign where they showcase the fans and the passion we have for our team.


They showed more of the Canucks videos that are now on Youtube and then the players came out for warm up.


Everyone cheered.  Including me.  Then they practiced.  Kevin Bieksa is one of the two that is not wearing his helmet.  In the pic below, he is on the left.


And headed back into the dressing rooms once warm up was over.  Then Joey Kenward showed up on screen to fill us all in on the program for tonight, the rules of the scrimmage and presented the teams.





And then I put my camera away and watched the game as the boys came back on.  Lu got luuuuuu'd as he came on and there were tons of signs for him as well to welcome him back.  I have to say that he looked sharp as ever tonight.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the start on Saturday.

The first two periods were for ten minutes like we were told they would be but then Joey Kenward came out at the start of the third and told us that the last period had been extended to 15 mins instead.  It didn't take long for ten minutes to pass anyways.  There were only three penalties all game.  One minute to Edler and two one-minute penalties to Ebbett.  Team Blue ended up winning 2-1, which was team Luongo.  They had a shootout at the end of the third period.



After it was all said and done, the Canucks gathered in the middle of the ice and saluted the crowd of 10-12,000 there tonight to watch their team play.  Its a larger number than they've been able to attract for morning practices in the last few days and according to the Canucks, it will be 15,000 plus tomorrow night.  I also intend to be there with another friend.  Since I don't want to pay for a ticket or buy merchandise this year from the Canucks, I will be attending only the free games and practices - unless they make it into the playoffs....then its a whole new ballgame. What can I say?  I love my Canucks. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment