Wednesday 11 January 2012

2012 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying Soccer Orientation


I attended the CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying orientation tonight at BC Place.  The stadium looked so beautiful in the red light glowing from inside. 


As I entered the East Airlock enterance, the security guard told me where the rest of the crew were awaiting orientation.  I got there about 45 mins early which was fine as I had to stand in line to check in and get my shift information (turns out I'm a Team Leader again) and received my handout.  I then proceeded to the corner of the room and let some guy take a mugshot of me for my accreditation which I will receive at a later date.  Once the formalities were done, I then entered the conference area and found my fellow volunteers from Whitecaps and BC Lions scattered in seats facing a projection screen.  So I found a seat between two friends and got caught up with each other until the orientation started.  

There were three guest speakers.  One was from BC Place, second was from Soccer Canada and the third was the Volunteer Manager.  We watched videos, slides and were introduced to all the different volunteer team managers. Once the session was over, we broke into our groups and spoke with our Team Managers for the departments we were working in.  My team manager was sick, so the Soccer Canada rep, Joe, took his time out and explained to my group, Hospitality, as to what to expect in our roles.  I introduced myself to my team and let them know I'm a team lead and I got to meet the other team lead for our group.  Basically, we will be meeting and greeting the teams as they arrive and hosting and directing VIP's at BC Place in the suites.  

I will pick up my volunteer gear in a week but my shifts will start before that.  Adidas and Umbro will be dressing us up in shirts and hoodies as our uniform.  I've seen them and they look nice.  I'm excited that I'll also be receiving four tickets to the games on the 19th and 23rd.  I'll be working these days at the game so I'll have to find someone who wants to go instead.  I'm also excited that I'll be able to see the players like Christine Sinclair and others again.  The majority of the Canadian team are compromised of the Whitecaps Women's Team and so there is some familiarity there.  At Swangard when I was the Usher, they would all come into my tunnel and sit in our sections at times and Christine was one of them.  It will be nice to see them all again. 


I'll update on this tournament as it goes on....stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment