Thursday 26 January 2012

Re-Cap of Women's Olympic Qualifying Games So Far..Day 6


January 24, 2012

Guatelmala vs Dominican Republic 3-0
USA vs Mexico 4-0

It was another fun day at BC Place.  Everyone was excited for the "big game" later in the evening, but first we had the Guatemala and Dominican Republic game to get through.  I had my team back but this time it was just myself and fellow volunteer, Christine.  We headed up to the Hospitality suites and did our thing.  We met some new ushers up in the area.  It seems as though the security and ushers get rotated alot up there.  Some actually remember seeing me before around the stadium, which is nice.  Especially since I also work BC Lions and Whitecaps games in that building as well and have been for the last 4 years.  Others were brand spanking new to the building and I knew the area more than they did.  Strange.  However, together we worked as a team to welcome the guests and get them seated in their suites as smoothly as possible.

The game with Guatemala and Dominican Republic had a few hundred fans show up which was great.  There were alot of Guatemalan supporters out in the crowds holding their flags and proudly wearing the jerseys, cheering on their team.  Guatemala did not disappoint their fans.  They were able to score 4 unanswered goals.  It was also great to see the Guatemalans score as they were the only team in the tournament so far that hadn't scored against any team.  They were very very happy.

Wendy Penida celebrating her goal with a teammate.
 Once the first match was over, the Hospitality suite areas picked up a bit and became very busy.  People were coming in fast to get to their suites and their seats.  I had a little bit of excitement when I saw some people from Whitecaps. I ran into the Women's Team Manager, Diane, for Whitecaps from a couple years ago.  She used to come sit in my section at Swangard when I was the Usher there and she would seat her girls in my section as well.  We got to know each other well.  Unfortunately, when we all moved to Empire Stadium for the MLS year, we were no longer in touch so it was nice to see her again.  We were able to catch up and she told me that she is now the Whitecaps Prospect Team (16-under) Manager and that she had the Whitecaps suite that night for the girls so they could watch the match.  It was really great seeing an old friend again.  Whitecaps really do feel like a family to me.

The other thing that happened was interesting as well.  The FIFA non-match referees and the Commissioner came to me and let me know that they were missing the Team Roster lists for the match that had all the substitutions and such on it.  Apparently they needed it to do their job and those sheets were usually in their suites when they arrived but they weren't there that day.  So I radioed back to the Volunteer Lounge to Stephanie and she got that all sorted out.  The media runner came up 5 mins later with the sheets they needed.  Thank god.  Those are the two people (referees and Commissioner)  in this tournament you don't want to rile up.

As I looked out into the stadium stands, all I could see were Mexican sombreros and American supporters.  It was going to be a great game.  I thought at least the Mexicans have a chance of either winning this game or at least keeping the score close.  They kept the score close.  USA won the match with a 4-0 win.  With this lose, the Mexicans now face off with the Canadian Team on Friday night to qualify for one of the spots to play in the London 2012 Summer Games.

Last I heard, the tickets were selling fast and furious and more than likely the lower bowl will be completely opened up for the public.  I'm sure the Mexicans will be coming out in full force to support their team as will the Canadians.  Its gonna be a great game, so get your tickets early if you haven't already.  I expect a full house and it to be a very very busy hospitality area.  There will be FREE BEER flowing in Suite 49 that night so I will have one of my CAT Team member volunteers with me that night.  Stephanie has given me Anne.  Anne is a "presence" that will be needed if there will be free beer flowing that night.  Her help is appreciated.

So, there are two days of training coming up, the 25th and 26th.  Then is the semi final with Canada vs Mexico.  I'm taking these days to relax, get some sleep and catch up on blogging and other things that I've managed to procrastinate on for the last couple of weeks.  Can't wait for Friday.  See you all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment