Monday 23 January 2012

Re-Cap of Women's Olympic Qualifying Games So Far..Day 4


Janauary 22, 2012

Mexico vs Dominican Republic 7-0
USA vs Guatemala 13-0

I wasn't at the tournament today as I opted to attend the Canucks SuperSkills Competition in the building across the street from BC Place, Rogers Arena.  However, I did pop in after the competition to see if the staff needed me for anything before I went back home to Surrey.  When I got to the Volunteer Lounge, I noticed the Mexico vs Dominican Republic were playing already.  Mexico was up 3-0 in the first half.  This really wasn't the Dominican Republic's tournament.  They got shut out again with a 7-0 score at the end.  Three goals were scored by Anisa Guajardo, the others came from Rosario Saucedo, Marylin Diaz scored on a penalty kick and Jennifer Ruiz rounded out the rest.  Mexico is a good, solid team as I've mentioned before in my blog.  They will be a tough test for Canada in the semi-finals.

Team Mexico
USA played Guatemala later that evening. I'm sure after seeing how the Americans were playing, they really just wanted to pack it in and not bother playing today.  Especially since USA thumped them 13-0!!  That's just insane. I feel bad that Guatemala and the Domincan Republic were in the same group as the Americans.  It can't be good for soccer being beaten down hard like that.  After seeing and meeting these ladies over the last four days, you really start to feel for them.  I guess for most of them, just being able to play in Canada is a treat.  A lot of them are just sight seeing and having a good time according to the Team Liaisons I've been talking to.

Now that the Americans have thoroughly defeated the Guatemalans and the Dominican Republic with great humiliation, lets see how they do when they play the second strongest team in the tournament on Tuesday against Mexico.  Mexico is the only team that has been able to defeat the US team in the past.  Should be interesting.

Team Guatemala

No comments:

Post a Comment