Monday 2 July 2012

BC Lions Home Opener 2012 Season


Everyone's beloved BC Lions were back at BC Place for their home opener on June 29th for the 2012 season.  It was packed with a lot of action.  I used to volunteer with the BC Lions for the last 4 yrs but decided not to this year.  Instead, I got myself a job as a Host at BC Place.  So far, I've worked two BC Lions games.  The first was the exhibition game vs Saskatchewan Roughriders on June 13th and the other was at the home opener on June 29th.  On both days I worked Gate B Admissions. 

There was a lot going on though.  First we had at least 26,000 in attendance so it was busy at the gates.  Second, fans received a 2012 Grey Cup Championship towel.  This didn't go over so well with the Winnipeg Bluebomber fans as the home opener was a re-match.  But they were great about it.  Thirdly, the Lions were unveiling the Championship banners from past years and hanging up the new one.  And last but not least, it was a night that everyone hoped Geroy Simon would pass Milt Stegall's record of yards. 

So if you weren't there or missed it for whatever reason, here is the banner unveiling for you, thanks to BrianBunka on youtube.  I was thankful for this as I was so busy scanning people into the building that I missed it all.  I had no idea that the ring was also available to look at in the concourse.  Now I know.


The other major highlight of the night was the Geroy Simon record breaker.  Close to the end of the game, Geroy Simon broke Milt Stegall's records for CFL's All-Time Receiving Leader title.  The game was held up for about 10 minutes to celebrate his acheivement before they resumed.  Here is the actual 56-yard pass he took from Travis Lulay and all the fun that happened after.  Love the Superman song.




The BC Lions went on to thump the Bluebombers 33-16 that night.  Their goal is  to go 18-0 this season.  One down, 17 more to go!


Now, those were the highlights that I had expected to take place that night but I had an unexpected one when about 10 mins after the half, none other than one of my favorite '94 Canucks, Gino Odjick walked in thru my gate and I got to scan him, his daughters and his mom into the building.  I then directed them to their suite.  He was recognized by a couple of lucky Lions fans leaving the building and got to shake hands with him.  Gino is great with his fans.  He really does love them.  It was all very unexpected and totally awesome.  Exactly what I needed at that time.  Gotta love Gino!!




If you want to know more about what Gino's been up to in Vancouver, here is a great article with a video interview about how he's been since he left the Canucks.  Gino Odjick in Vancouver

No comments:

Post a Comment