Sunday 26 August 2012

Mei Yu Caricature Artist at the PNE



So, I went to the PNE on Friday and ended up looking around in the Market Place building.  I came across a little booth that had this lady drawing cartoon caricatures of people. As I came closer to the booth, the mother came over to me and asked if I was interested in getting one done.  I was, actually.  So, she showed me her book of her daughter's drawings.  The prices varied depending on what you had done and if it was in black or white or in color.  I decided if I was gonna have one done, I wanted it in done in colour.  So, I told her that I worked for the Vancouver Whitecaps and I wanted something to reflect that.  She showed me a drawing that Mei Yu had done of a person as a Whitecaps soccer player.  I really wanted something more to reflect the work that I do and I since I don't play for the team, that seemed a bit odd for me.  So then the father called me over.  We had the same disscusion.  Then he showed me a drawing of a girl in a cheerleaders outfit for the BC Lions.  He thought that since I worked in the background of everything that me cheering the team on that way would better reflect me than as a soccer player. I totally agreed with that. 

So, up came my turn.  I introduced myself to Mei Yu and told her what I wanted done.  She then asked me to look at a tv screen ahead of me which showed her drawing me as a caricature step-by-step.  I watched as she drew and in three minutes, she was done and I was in full color.  I was very impressed with the details and the taste of what she had drawn.  I paid $30 for this.  The father was so happy with it as well, he asked me if he could take a picture of it to put on the wall of the booth to show people.  I let him.  So, you may see this picture of me hanging up there somewhere until the end of PNE.

Here is the final result.


I have to say, she is truly talented and amazing to watch.  We talked briefly and she was very pleasant to deal with.  I would totally recommend her to anyone thinking of getting one done. She is very accomplished as an art instructor and has youtube videos showing how to draw cute animals in very easy step-by-step instructions.  Like this cute sea turtle.


Anyways, check her out.  Her website is www.meiyuart.com 

She's always looking for events such as weddings, parties and dry grad events to show her talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment