Sunday 26 August 2012

Womens Olympic Soccer Team 2012 Win BRONZE!

Photo by COC Mike Ridewood

Seriously, how sweet was this game!  After that heartbreaking loss to the United States by unbelievable calls made by FIFA ref, Christina Pedersen of Norway.  The girls really deserved to be playing in the gold medal game instead of the bronze.  Some people thought this match would be a tough one for our girls as they had to face France for the medal.  I woke up at 5am to watch our girls win although at times it looked like it wasn't a game going the Canadian teams way with France getting chance after chance at our net.  Their very best could not put the ball in the net.  They managed to kick it everywhere else around the net but never inside.  The Canadian team waited patiently and played defensively for most of it.  But once Diane Matheson found an opening, she made sure they nailed it in the last minute of play.  How dramatic was that! 

The wave of emotion I felt for these girls was overwhelming for me.  Fourteen of these girls once played for the Vancouver Whitecaps when I worked as an Usher at Swangard.  My connection to them goes as far back as 2006 when I first started volunteering for them.  Watching the women play were always a treat for all of us ushers.  I got to be around them again for the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament held earlier in this year in January at BC Place.  I can't tell you how awesome it was to see Christine Sinclair smile when she won the Bronze medal.   She's always been my favourite and she's a super nice person too.

The girls flew back after the closing ceremonies and were greeted at YVR wtih a throng of fans to welcome them back.  It was amazing to see that.  They truly were the shining light in the Olympics for Canada!  Way to go girls!

Being welcomed back at YVR


Diana Matheson scored the only goal and winner of the Bronze Medal game.
Kalyn Kyle, former Whitecaps player and Bronze medalist.

Christine Sinclair, Captain and Bronze medalist of the Canadian Women's National Soccer Team.
The Vancouver Whitecaps held a ceremony for the CWNT on August 15th.  I had the pleasure of running into Sophie Schmidt and Karina LeBlanc in the suites at Gate H while helping an another men's alumni player a the time.  The two had just come through the gates to go to suites after signing autographs in the Bell Box during the Kick Off festivities on the Plaza.  As they walked in, they saw my alumni, D'arcy Boulton, who played for the men's team in 2006.  They gave each other hugs and then I had the opportunity to see their medals and congratulate them.   I truly am very happy for these girls.  I hope to see them again in 2015 for the FIFA Women's World Cup which I will also be a part of. 

Here's  the game winning goal by Diana Matheson, incase you missed it.





No comments:

Post a Comment