Monday 24 October 2011

Crazy Sports/Wedding Filled Saturday

Today was the motherload of all days for me! Sportswise, Canucks played a rare 1pm afternoon game against the Minnesota Wild and won 3-2 in overtime.  The more games they play, the better they look.  Kesler doesn't look like he's having any problems re-adjusting without having attended training camp.  It was slow at times, but picked it up when they needed to.  Lets hope this just keeps getting better. The game winning goal came from Sami Salo.  Here is the video evidence of the winning play.

Then the Vancouver Whitecaps played their last season match at BC Place vs. Colorado Rapids.  They closed the season out with a 2-1 loss with the only goal coming from Alain Rochat.  I was supposed to be working at the match but skytrain's schedule was erratic with their track maintenance this weekend and I had to be at TWO wedding receptions after the match and wasn't sure I'd make it back home in time from downtown.   It was a fun year with the Whitecaps but also very challenging.  I hope this club improves next year as we all saw the potential is there to be the best.  Good Luck next year Whitecaps! 
This is what Joe Cannon had to say after the match.


The BC Lions also took on the Hamilton Ti-Cats and ended up licking their wounds 42-10.  Their 8 game win streak had come to an end.  They are now home preparing to take on the Edmonton Eskimos on Saturday, Oct 29th.  I will be working at that game.  The Leos have suffered alot of player injuries in the last couple of games and I'm hoping there is enough depth and character on this team to get them through the next game.  If the BC Lions win on Saturday, they will be in first place as they would have won the season series against them.  SO, lets cross fingers and say a little prayer that our Lions will prevail.


This is a ritual performed by the Rugby team before every match called the "Haka".


For those who follow Rugby, another sports team I was following was the New Zealand All Blacks Rugby team.  They played the final match last night at 1am against France.  It was a close match and ended in a 8-7 win for the All Blacks. So congrats to the All Blacks.  I'm sure my cousins in NZ are having a blast celebrating their win.  If you don't know what tournament this was, it was the Rugby World Cup 2011.  It started with 30 teams and finally after 2 months, it all came down to France and New Zealand. It was 24 years ago when the Kiwis won the Cup last.  As my Aussie cousins would say,  "Good on ya!"  I only wish our Canucks could have ended our 40 yr drought of the Stanley Cup earlier this year. 

Speaking of Canucks.....

THE CANUCKS TRADE

David Booth on the left and Steven Reinprecht on the right. 

Mikaeel Samuelsson was "supposedly" out with his injury and Marco Sturm was "supposedly" a last minute change and didn't skate with the team either.   A press release was announced following the game that both Sturm and Samuelsson were both traded to the Florida Panthers for LW David Booth, Centre Steven Reinprecht and a third round draft pick in 2013.  I have to be honest, I haven't heard of either of these guys before so it was hard to make a judgement call on my part if this was a good trade or not.  But after much research on both players, it seems as though we got the better end of it.  I'm excited.

Here is a video I found on youtube that I found interesting regarding the trade.


I will be watching the game vs. Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday as this will be the first game Booth will suit up for the Canucks.  I hope this line dominates...nicknames such as the "American Express Line" or the "Americano Line" are already being dubbed by hopeful fans...but you never now what will happen and who will play with who unitl it happens.  Bring on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment