Monday 28 November 2011

Grey Cup Festival Parade 2011




It was cold, wet and pouring all day long.  My day started at 6am so could be downtown to Team Lead my crew of four volunteers I was assigned to take care of the PCL Sponsors.  I got there early so I headed over to McDonalds to grab a coffee where I ran into the Managers who I work with on the CAT team.  They were helping out with media on the corner of Burrard and Dunsmuir.  After warming up with my coffee, I headed over to the Cactus Club also on the corner of Burrard and Dunsmuir and looked for the Grey Cup Supervisor to find out what exactly she needed myself and my crew to do.  She took me over to Park Plaza, right across from the Burrard Skytrain station, and explained what needed to be done.  I had tables that needed to be assembled for snacks and coffee for the PCL visitors provided by Safeway, the parade sponsor.  I also had to block off a section of the sidewalk with gates and assign some volunteers to help out with the PCL viewing area.  As it got to be 8am, my crew of 3 arrived.  Only problem was that none of them were on my list of volunteers.  Apparently my team decided not to show up so they assigned three from the Cactus Club location to help me out.  Since the area didn't need to be "active" til 9am and the parade didn't start til 10am, I sent them to go get warmed up with coffee and come back in half an hour so we could start to get set up.

When they came back, I had them set up the tables and move the gates into place once it was 9am.  We waited for the coffee and snacks to arrive by delivery and set that up.  We were expecting 200 people from PCL to be at the viewing area and thats how much food we received.  Unfortunately, with the weather being the way it was, we probably had about 50 people show up.  Which meant we had a lot of Starbucks coffee and muffins, croissants and danishes left over.  What ever we didn't use, we packed up after the parade and had it sent down to the Union Gospel to feed the hungry.





This couple pictured above dressed in red and white are so cute.  These two have been coming to every BC Lions games since I can remember and I'm sure you have seen them around too.  At the Lions games, they dress up elegantly in White and Orange.  I talked to them both the day before the parade at the VCC and told me they would be "Mr. and Mrs. Canada" at the parade on Saturday morning.  They were so happy and proud they were asked to be part of the Grey Cup Festival Parade.  If you ever see them around BC Place, go say hi.  Very sweet couple.




And here is the Grey Cup Festival Parade Marshal, Cory Monteith from Glee.  His truck would stop at some places and they would invite fans to run over and quickly take a pic with him.  Which was kind because he certainly had alot of fans in the crowd.


After it was all done, I headed over to the shopping mall to get dry again.  Then tried to find a place that would blow dry and straighten my hair again as those white jackets, as we found out, were not waterproof!!  Thank god for fleece layering.  I still had another function later that night at the "Show your Colors" Gala to work but not for another 4 hrs.  So once I got my hair re-set, I headed over to VCC and chilled out there til my shift started for the Gala.  I was Team Lead for the Coat-Check again.  It was good fun that night.  The Vancouver Canucks were also playing in San Jose and the Telus Kiosk was located directly across from my coat-check room so during the down times, my team just sat around an watched an awsome game.  The RCMPs, Volunteers and many CFL fans stood around as well to watch Schnieder get his 4th win in a row!!  There was a very loud cheer at the sound of the buzzer!!

Here's a pic from inside the Show Your Colors gala.



I saw alot of people taking off with the Football and the green turf in the middle when they came by to pick up their coats.  Not sure if they were supposed to.  Oh well, not my problem.  I managed my team of volunteers in the coat room and then went home as my feet were still soaking wet from the morning parade and I was still walking around in heels!!

By the time I got home, it was 12:30am and I had to get up again in the morning and head down to BC Place for the Grey Cup game.  Check in time for me was 11:45am.  So I tried to go to bed right away and stay off my feet as much as possible. I slept like a baby. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment